Saturday, April 12, 2014

Whole 30: Days 11-20

Day 11: Liz came over after work and we ordered from George & the Dragon through Bite Squad.  The salad on the menu that I knew I could eat was called the Mary so I felt like that was a good sign.  In other news, I was using my new mandoline kitchen cutter tonight and sliced off part of my thumb.  When I bought the mandoline yesterday, I found that the safety piece was not in the box but I wanted to use it anyway so I didn't return it.  This was my first mistake.  So, not surprisingly, my thumb wasn't positioned correctly around a beet and it did not end well.
Breakfast- 3 hard boiled eggs, plantain chips and grapes
Lunch- leftover curry chicken, 1/2 a tomato and an apple
Snacks- herbed cashews
Dinner- arugula salad with asparagus and ginger vinaigrette with salmon

Day 12: I am still hungry after dinner tonight.  I assume that's because I just had juice for lunch.  I also got light headed and almost passed out at VB this afternoon but I quick downed some water and felt better.  Bottom line- I need to eat more today.
Breakfast- 2 eggs, beet chips and Naked Orange Carrot juice
Lunch- "Liquid Sunshine" juice from Freshii at Southdale- pineapple, ginger, golden beets, cilantro and green apple (I took a picture of its lovely color but then I got a new phone and my picture was gone)
Dinner- chicken grilled with Tastefully Simple's seasoned salt, 2 carrots, yellow mango

Day 13: I now have more ailments than I started with.  So here's hoping that works itself out.  The good news is, I don't snack as much and because I eat more and I eat better food at meals.  And I typically don't eat past 8 or 9 so that helps too because you are not supposed to eat 2 hours before sleeping.
Breakfast- OJ, almond butter (I wasn't that hungry)
Lunch- sun-dried tomato/basil sausage, cucumber and tomato salad, turkey and blueberry muffin
Dinner- rosemary garlic chicken (too dried out, my bad) and cucumber/tomato salad. 
Dessert- chocolate and mint chip coconut milk ice cream!!

Day 14: It is tricky not to give in to my favorite treat when I'm at the mall- the Pretzelmaker is just outside Vera Bradley but I am able to resist since Freshii is upstairs in the food court.  Unfortunately, everything at Freshii takes 12390 hours to prepare and there is usually only 2 people there working and its just freaking slow.  But tasty.
Breakfast- 2 turkey blueberry muffins and watermelon, mango and pineapple juice/smoothie 
Lunch- leftover chicken, cucumber/tomato salad, strawberries
Dinner- "Soho" salad from Freshii- spinach, bacon, beets, green apple, cranberries and walnuts with a balsamic vinaigrette


Day 15: I'm halfway through!!  And I'm pretty happy thus far!  This morning I cracked an egg for my scrambled eggs but it turned out to be a hard boiled egg so I knew immediately what I was going to have for lunch!  Then I labeled the rest of my eggs.  Also I got to work and our boss ordered Davanni's for everyone before a big meeting this morning.  WAH WAH WAH (that sounds like this in my head). I was not in the mood for another salad so I just ate the lunch I brought, even though everyone's pizzas and calzones smelled FREAKING DELICIOUS.
Breakfast- 2 eggs scrambled, 1 almost ripe avocado and a Sumo citrus
Lunch- 2 hard boiled eggs, apple, leftover chicken
Dinner- more leftover chicken, strawberries and mashed cauliflower (surprisingly good, Mitch even liked it)
Dessert- coconut milk ice cream :)

Day 16: I gave in and bought mayo from the store today. Trudy and I tried to make Paleo mayo two different times but failed twice because we lack an immersion blender and evidently the Ninja just doesn't cut it.  So I bought Kraft Olive Oil mayonnaise which possesses the least amount of shitty ingredients and may have used soybean oil but I don't care.  I really wanted to make chicken salad and I didn't want to use avocados.
Breakfast- watermelon and strawberry smoothie, 2 hard boiled eggs
Lunch- Chipotle salad with carnitas, tomato salsa and guac 
Dinner- chicken salad

Day 17: Today was a boring day.  Not much to report.
Breakfast- kale, strawberry and cherry smoothie with 3 hard boiled eggs
Lunch- leftover Chipotle, apple 
Dinner- bison burger, fried egg, radishes and mashed cauliflower

Day 18: Today, on the other hand, was a shitty day.  I've been depressed all week and I'm not sure if it was due to my period or my diet.  By the time Friday hit, I was exhausted and sad and pouty and chose to wallow in self pity instead of going to Wits at the Fitz with Matt Nathanson.  I sat on the couch and hid under a blanket during the commercials of the shows I was watching.  It was pathetic.  Then I went to bed and found that Marvel had pooped on my bed under the blanket.  THEN I found out that the friends I knew that went to Wits MET FREAKING MATT NATHANSON.  So after I cried for a while, I decided that I will not let depression keep me down and keep me from going out and doing things, even if I had 2 tickets for the show and couldn't find someone else to go with my so I was sad and lonely about it.  NEVER AGAIN.
Breakfast- bison burger, avocado, grapefruit and OJ
Lunch- chicken salad, apple
Dinner- bacon and eggs baked in avocado (in a sad face because that's how I felt)

Day 19: I was much more energized today after sleeping and deciding to be stronger than my feelings.  I went to Costco with my mom to buy stuff for Easter lunch- it is difficult going to Costco and not being able to try ANY sample.  Same with Whole Foods, where I went on my way home, because they're always sampling delicious cheeses.  I worked at VB tonight and was determined not to eat at Freshii again- after looking at the nutritional facts of the SmashBurger menu, I found that the only item I could legitimately eat were the sweet potato fries.   Everything else contained dairy, soy, wheat or nuts.  Literally everything else.  I cannot tell you how good these fries tasted.
Breakfast- kale, pineapple and strawberry smoothie
Lunch- salmon dill patty, mashed cauliflower and mango
Dinner- 3 deviled eggs and SmashBurger sweet potato fries

Day 20: It is Easter!  Last week I asked my dad if I could make a Paleo Easter lunch and he said yes so I was in charge of cooking today.  I was pretty proud of myself.  I even told my parents they could make their cheesy Easter potatoes if they wanted and I would be okay with it but they refrained (they did not, however, refrain from bringing it up during the meal about how sad they'll be without leftovers all week- boo to them).  I cheated a bit with dessert today- I made these zucchini "brownies" with honey and chocolate chips.  Oh, and today is also Greek Easter and when we got home from church there was baklava on the front step so I had a small piece.  I do not regret it.
Breakfast- bacon, grapefruit, blackberry Izze
(Late) Lunch- deviled eggs, lamb, asparagus, root vegetable medley (carrots, turnips and purple potatoes), strawberries and raspberries, zucchini "brownies" with homemade coconut milk ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment