Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Post Grad Book #2

The Men I Didn't Marry by Janice Kaplan and Lynn Schnurnbrger
Finished: June 29, 2010
Page Count: 285

Why I read it:
The title was intriguing.

Google Books review:
In their third collaboration, Kaplan and Schnurnberger stick to the breezy style they created in The Botox Diaries and Mine Are Spectacular! After emptying her nest, Hallie Lawrence Pierpont is looking forward to reconnecting with her husband of 20 years. But then he dumps her for his fitness guru, and Hallie decides to get busy. A serendipitous meeting with the friend of one of her ex-boyfriends gives her an idea: Hallie is going to reconnect with all the men she didn't marry, starting with millionaire Eric; spiritual guru Barry; and her high school sweetheart, Kevin. Hallie's quest takes her to California and an exotic island, but when all is said and done she finds what she wants back in New York. Though her husband leaves her with no warning and she finds herself living alone for the first time in her adult life, Hallie manages the changes in her life with little angst. This is too little, however, to make the novel anything but a pleasant read-fun while it lasts but easily forgotten. Light women's fiction for larger public library collections.

What I thought:
Confession: I love silly romance novels more than intelligent reads.  Confession: I am not ashamed to admit that.  This book was a lot more fun to read than the last on my list.  It was about romance and travel and trying new things.  Yes, it was rather unrealistic that the main character's husband left her then she found three ex-boyfriends, all of whom were single and spent the last 20-years or so thinking about her.  Still, I found it interesting enough to see how each of these ex-boyfriends were so different, doing different things and reacting to her in different ways.  The end tied itself up nicely, something I expect from a silly romance book.  I liked it a lot though I don't feel any smarter now that I've read it though isn't that the point of a summer book?

No comments:

Post a Comment