Saturday, June 8, 2013

#48: What if?

Do you ever wonder how your life would be if you made one different decision?

I went to Macalester College today for a homework assignment.  When I was in high school, Allison and I used to go to an art store right next to campus.  We would walk down Grand Avenue to look at the school from the sidewalk.  It was pretty but I never even gave it a second thought.  I have this homework assignment where I am supposed to visit a campus and comment on the ecology of said campus as well as interview a student affairs professional.  I chose Macalester pretty randomly and ended up knowing a staff person so it turned out to be a good project for me.  Since I work all day, I am unable to visit campus during the school day and take an actual tour so I decided to head out there today.

It turned out to be reunion day on campus.  Graduates from 5, 10, 15, 25 and 50 years ago were gathered on campus for lunch, classes and tours through buildings, new and old.

Even though I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and I was not an alum, I still felt comfortable on campus in a situation where I usually would have felt out of place and like I would get in trouble for being there during the celebration.

I wandered around campus, watched the reunion from afar, and walked through a building.

I had an overwhelming feeling of internal conflict.  Should I have gone to Macalester?  Why didn't I even look at it as an option?

How would my life be different now had I gone to Mac?

I feel a little weird about it all.  I loved WSU and I'm in a good place now because of it but what if?

No comments:

Post a Comment