Friday, June 19, 2015

Whole 30-ish: Week 1

6/15: I had a pretty good first day.  After a week of binge drinking and eating (regrettable to say the least), it was nice to go into Monday with a focus and plan of healthy eating.

Breakfast: I made a bunch of food last week that I wanted to try and finish early this week, even though it wasn't exactly Whole 30 compliant.  I had half a piece of egg bake this morning (egg whites, pesto, cherry tomatoes, spinach and feta) and it made me a little sick to my stomach so I decided to pass on the rest of those leftovers (I gave them to my neighbor so they didn't go to waste).  I stopped at Lunds & Byerlys on my way to work and grabbed a TRUE Juice for breakfast.  The Whole 30 founders would prefer you to not drink your meals but it was full of fruits and veggies with no added sugar and was tasty.
Snack: I had my last Justin's Almond Butter packet that was hiding in my snack drawer- this wasn't compliant either due to the honey powder containing sugar but I wasn't too concerned about it today.
Lunch: Brussels sprouts and bacon.
Snack: 3 slices of roast beef
Dinner: I made my last Plated meal of mashed yuca and marinated skirt steak served with berries!  It was an imperfect start but a start nonetheless.

6/16: I felt good about life and Whole 30 today.  Determined.  Excited.

Breakfast: Two eggs scrambled, a couple pineapple spears and some thai curry basil Terra chips that I found on top of my fridge.  They were kind of stale and chips are a little against the Whole 30 rules but I felt okay about it since I wasn't eating them straight out of the bag.
Lunch: A delicious bratwurst that I found at the co-op, roasted farmer's market asparagus and strawberries (Target had a fantastic sale on them this weekend that I am so glad I took advantage of).
Dinner: I was going to make this green sauce but then I realized the blender had been removed from my house as part of my roommates moving out so I ended up smashing an avocado with some garlic paste that I made, half a chopped jalapeno and some olive oil to make a delicious dip for some baked sweet potato fries.
After dinner (and after I had already brushed my teeth): I enjoyed juice of a granny smith apple, a pineapple spear or two and a bunch of strawberries.

6/17: I decided today to do "Whole 30-ish" due to upcoming life plans that will be hard for me to do following this in the strict way it is meant to be followed.  Basically I plan to keep doing what I'm doing and only make a few allowances.  I know once you go off plan you should start over which is why I've decided not to count the days of my Whole 30, just see how long I can keep this good behavior going.

Breakfast: Egg fried in ghee, bratwurst, handful of pistachios
Lunch: Leftover yuca and steak, strawberries (of course)
Dinner: Zoodles (zucchini noodles) in a lemon-garlic "scampi-esque" sauce with shrimp
After dinner: I had this trail mix from Whole Foods that I thought I couldn't eat- turns out I just had to pick out the cranberries and cherries (dried with added sugar) and the rest was okay so that was a nice treat.

6/18: Starting yesterday, I set my alarm to wake up a half hour earlier than I have been recently so I have time to make breakfast.  This morning I was tired when I got up but managed to not snooze my alarm for another 15 minutes (like I have been doing pretty much every day for the past month then feel rushed trying to get ready for work).  I even scheduled in 15 minutes of cuddle time with Marvel so he doesn't throw off my morning routine anymore.

Breakfast: Eggs baked in avocado, blueberries
Lunch: Tuna salad- tuna in water and no vegetable broth (which contains soy) is hard to find but I did it, "Just Mayo" which I think is Whole 30 compliant and I found it at Target a while back, lemon juice, a chopped celery stalk, dill and garlic salt.  It was tart, filling and delicious.  I also had carrot chips with a guacamole cup
Dinner (I guess): I bought the Kevita probiotic drink at Whole Foods to try and avoid drinking at a brewery later- it tasted like a mojito and was so good!  I also had some grapes and some almonds.  I did end up at the brewery drinking a beer (whoops) but by the time I got home I realized I hadn't really eaten dinner and I wasn't that hungry.  So I consider that a success.

6/19:  One of my coworkers mentioned today how she had a delicious strawberry salad at a restaurant for lunch.  I had strawberries at home that needed to be eaten!  So I grabbed some spinach on the way home and made a most delicious salad for dinner

Breakfast: Bratwurst, banana with almond butter and sprinkled with cinnamon
Lunch: Leftover yuca, asparagus and skirt steak
Dinner: Spinach, avocado and strawberry salad with pecans and a peach-white vinegar dressing, grapes

6/20: I ate my last brat from the co-op today.  I'm definitely going to buy more because they are DELICIOUS.

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs (2) with Alaskan smoked salmon
Lunch: Angus beef burger, fried egg, 1/2 avocado with Fiesta party dip, grapes
Snack: Banana with almond butter, strawberry-spinach juice
Dinner: Carrot chips with avocado dip, bratwurst

6/21: So I went a little off plan today.  It is Father's Day and I told my dad I would eat whatever he wanted.  So we went to the 5-8 Tavern after church and I had a Juicy Lucy, which I was actually craving all weekend.  I ate it without the bun though so that's gotta count for something, right?  Just kidding.  The good news is that it didn't taste that great so I don't know if it was just an off day in the kitchen or if I really just didn't like it... I also had some peanut butter today but it was Justin's so at least it wasn't totally full of crap like the generic brand of PB I have in a jar in my cabinet. 

Breakfast: Naked Green juice
Lunch: Juicy Lucy and Fries...
Dinner: Citrus-marinated grilled chicken, avocado and raspberries
Snack: Celery with Justin's honey-peanut butter

No comments:

Post a Comment