Friday, March 29, 2013

#47: A Sisterhood

When I was in my undergrad at WSU, I found the women and gender studies (WAGS) program and knew it was going to be interesting and something that I could really get behind. It is only offered as a minor so I jumped on board. I started with a class called Power, Privilege and Gender and I think that really changed my world. As my undergrad career went on and I faltered about the choice of majors I entered with, my WAGS minor stayed strong. I got the opportunity to study race and class on the most amazing travel study trip ever on the island of St. Croix in the USVI. I will never forget that trip and what it taught me. I took Feminist Theory, Feminist Political Theory and a field experience class where my friend Jaci and I created women-focused programs for students living in the res halls. Every class taught me something new. They taught me to be analytical and how to really think about the world around me and how I fit in. They taught me how to be strong, opinionated and confident. I know I wouldn't be the woman I am today if it weren't for the WAGS program.

So of course when I found out that WAGS was celebrating its 20th anniversary on campus this week, I had to come for the festivities. I couldn't make it to the Feministing.com panel on Wednesday (check out the website though, it is so current and covers so many issues and topics you might not otherwise hear about from your regular news networks). I was here Thursday for the founders panel luncheon where the handful of professors who started the WAGS minor spoke about their experiences. One of those professors actually sued our university and the MNSCU system for women faculty on campus to be paid equally with their male counterparts. I had no idea this happened and it was amazing.

Later in the afternoon, we had an alumni panel. I didn't want to sit on the panel because I really didn't think that anything I was doing in my life after graduation had anything to do with WAGS. Boy was I wrong. I happen to be in a situation in one of my classes that fit into the discussion perfectly and it was at that moment yesterday, looking around at all the amazing women who surrounded me on that stage (some I knew, some I just had the pleasure of meeting) and looking out at the audience at current students, faculty and some of the founders, I realized I was a part of a sisterhood of sorts.

I felt so comfortable being part of this group even though I wasn't very active in WAGS in college due to other commitments. Everyone was so friendly and attentive and genuinely interested in what each other had to say.

It was an amazing feeling.

Add this to the reasons I love Winona State University so much. I wouldn't have had this experience any place else and I realize now how unique and important it was to my growth and identity.

So if you ever have the chance, take a women's and gender studies course. I promise it will be thought-provoking and eye-opening and hopefully you'll learn something in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment