Wednesday, March 30, 2011

#18: What's New?

Everyone I come in contact with always asks me this- "what's new?"

NOTHING.

I never have anything to say. I go to work, I come home from work, I eat dinner, I watch TV and I go to bed. Next week I'll throw some fitness classes and workouts in there at LA Fitness. When it gets warmer, I'll start walking the dog again in the morning.

That's not exciting.

We are thinking about opening a cupcake-coffee-wine-music-panini-party shop. The idea is obviously still in its early planning stages. I'm actually excited about the idea of this because it brings my 3 best friends together with me to plan something as a team. We all bring something different to the table and I think it'd be interesting if we owned a business together. Trudy doesn't seem 100% on board with the idea and I think it might be because she and I have had ideas like this before and we never acted on them (the afternoon homework club for teens = one of our best ideas and probably still is). Allison wants to open a wine and cupcake shop. Jaci just wants to decorate cakes. I've got the baking part covered. Trudy wants to do something along the lines of healthy treats for pets. Phil seems to be interested in the business side of things while Ryan is an accountant. Add Liz in the mix with her design skills and my marketing background and we've got a winning team.

The scariest thing about this cupcake shop idea is that I'm seriously thinking about it and the more I think about it, the less I think about school. I really REALLY want to go to school next fall. I will apply to grad schools, I WILL get in, and I will move on but at this moment, things feel a little up in the air. Isn't now the best time in my life to take a risk like trying to start my own business? I'm still living at home (though I really do want to move out and am probably going to look at apartments next weekend), I'm working full time and my circle of friends is amazing. We're all in a really good place right now- why not try something exciting and new? I think now is a great time to take a leap of faith- I can go back to school anytime, right? That is one mantra I do not want to live by- sure I can go back to school at any time (I met a lot of moms that were getting their higher ed degrees at a workshop in January) but WILL I go back to school if I wait too long? That's what I'm afraid of.

As I'm writing this, I am thinking of other things that are actually "new" in my life. I guess all I need was a prompt and some time to sit down and really think about it to realize that there are actually things going on in my life worth writing about.

I'm entering a modeling contest. This may seem very out of the ordinary and strange but I'm in this mindset about trying new things while I'm living at home. I'm going to Winona this weekend to have my friend Abby take some pictures of me, among other reasons, to use with my application. I'm pretty excited about this opportunity to be a model for the clothing store maurices and if I end up as a finalist (which I know is probably a long shot), I'd get to have a photo shoot in my hometown (in addition to other prizes). I think the hometown photo shoot is actually what I'm most looking forward to if I win. Look for more information about this exciting new direction in my life in about two weeks once my application is complete and the voting begins!

I've been meaning to write a substantial update on my life for weeks so I hope this is a sufficient glimpse into my very thrilling life right now. I shall end this post with a picture of my latest batch of cupcakes. I'm not sure how they taste yet (little known fact- I actually don't like eating cupcakes, I just LOVE baking, decorating, photographing and sharing them) but I sure am proud of the decoration! Thanks Martha Stewart for the inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment