Monday, May 30, 2011

#23: Projects

I'm a busy little bee- not as busy as I'd like to be, or as I'm used to, but busy enough to not be painstakingly bored. Here are the fun projects I'm working on currently.

The biggest, and I can tell already most frustrating, thing I'm working on is our 5-year high school class reunion. Allison asked me a couple months ago if I knew of anything happening for our 5-year and I said no and forgot about it. Then in April she asked again and I took it upon myself to start planning because I figured if I didn't, no one else would. Our big idea- the Budweiser Deck at Target Field for a Twins Game. We created a group on Facebook, invited all the people we were still friends with and watched it take off from there. We graduated with about 300 people (I think) and half of those people are currently in our Facebook group (not bad if you ask me). People seemed interested, making jokes about how expensive the beer is at the field, so when I finally got around to calling Target Field, of course the Budweiser Deck is sold out for the season. I did reserve a bunch of seats in a section in July, figuring it was our next best option. I created an event on Facebook, invited all the people in the group and bam, there we go. This all happened last night so I'll be interested to see how many people end up RSVP-ing, not to mention the fact that clearly we're missing half of our class in the Facebook group. All sorts of people are chiming in with "helpful" tips (my parents, mostly) that I'd prefer not to listen to. Its my class reunion, I think I should be able to plan how I want to.

I wrote that about 2 weeks ago. I have renewed interest and excitement in this project now, looking in to bars in Bloomington where we can hang out for the night. I have my eye on Cowboy Jack's, this new "saloon" in Bloomington with a mechanical bull. I have been there 4 or 5 times in the past month and after passing judgement initially (lots of older people that first night I was there), I love it. Its such a fun place to go and just hang out- I don't think I've drank any of the times I've been, its just fun to walk around and watch people ride the bull. I ALWAYS see people I know there so I figured it would be a great place to hold our reunion. I am trying to work it out with their event lady and in the mean time, I'm coming up with AMAZING ideas like turning my computer into a photo booth, decorations and cupcakes. I'm actually looking forward to this again so I hope it turns out the way I want it to.

Sneak peek of the photo booth- I found these sweet props on Etsy. We are the Jefferson Jaguars, our colors are blue and white- HOW PERFECT IS THIS??


Another thing I'm doing now is through Hands On Twin Cities, a really amazing volunteer connection website. I signed on to be a project coordinator for an event called "Decorating Day" where we go decorate bulletin boards at the Benedictine Health Center in Minneapolis. I figured it would be a perfect thing for me to do since I'm a basically a bulletin board professional. I went last week to do the boards for the first time and it was kind of fun to talk to the residents of the center and watch them watch me put up the fish wrapping paper as the background.

Here is one of the five bulletin boards I redecorated for the month of June:


After signing on for Decorating Day, I ended up volunteering to coordinate another event called "Stock the Shelves" at the Sabathani Community Center in Minneapolis. This project is a little more out of my comfort zone but obviously anything volunteer related, I enjoy doing. This project happens on the first Saturday of every month. Last month, we assembled hygiene kits, diaper bags and then helped sort through donated clothes. The event is happening again this coming Saturday and I'm expecting it to be totally different. It's an interesting experience and I'm happy to be a part of it.

You can check out the Impact Now programs (like Decorating Day and Stock the Shelves) at the Hands On Twin Cities website!


Other than all that, I'm still making cupcakes. I'm throwing Liz a birthday bonfire this weekend where I was going to make cupcakes but I'm actually going to make cake sushi instead (I'm branching out!) I'm baking softball cupcakes for a big company competition next weekend then more cupcakes for a coworker's birthday mid-June. I just started going to the chiropractor (3 times a week for the next 2 months), I'm still working out 2-3 times a week, I'm starting to look at grad programs again (I have 6 front runners so I'll have to work on applications and such this summer), and I have a "Sons of Anarchy" night weekly with Trudy, Mitch, Eric and Liz. Despite all of these things going on, I still am bored and not meeting my full potential in projects. I am so used to being busy non-stop that this whole "out of res life" thing is still weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment