Sunday, June 26, 2011

Food Challenge: BASIL/Pesto

Recipe #2 for my basil challenge.  I love pesto.  I haven't gotten around to making my own until this week when I bought a bunch of basil at the farmer's market.  It doesn't stay fresh for long so I had to do something with it- and quick!  I put it on pasta for dinner today but I plan to mix it with mayo later this week and make a tasty sandwich.  Yum!


Basic Pesto
Recipe from: Food Network, but I can't find it right now so I'm doing it by memory

10 basil leaves
1 garlic clove, smashed
2 Tablespoons pine nuts, un-toasted
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper

In a food processor, fix the first 4 ingredients until blended.  Add the cheese, salt and pepper and mix again until incorporated.  Viola!  Serve over pasta, with pita chips, on bread- its very versatile and can be eaten with just about anything.

I read someplace that air is the enemy to pesto so it needs to be stored (refrigerated) with a tight seal.  I've also seen it put into ice cube trays and frozen until its needed.  I made some on Thursday night and it already looked a little gross today after being in the fridge so I definitely recommend to either use it quickly or freeze it for later!

No comments:

Post a Comment