Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Post Grad Book #8

Model Student: A Tale of Co-Eds and Cover Girls by Robin Hazelwood
Finished: June 29, 2011
Page Count: 390
Why I read it:
I was picking up books at the library for my mom and this was on the shelf in the library lobby that are basically suggestions for books to read.  I grabbed it off the shelf, read the first paragraph of the summary and knew I would love this book.


Booklist review:
A new novel takes a look at young women trying to navigate the world of modeling and balance hot careers with the other priorities in their lives. Hazelwood, a 13-year veteran of the modeling world, offers up the tale of a young model torn between her career and college in her debut novel. At the tail end of the 1980s, 17-year-old Wisconsin beauty Emily Woods dreams of becoming a supermodel. She has been working to make her dream a reality, but she is also enrolled in prestigious Columbia University for the fall. After a whirlwind trip to L.A., Emily heads off to school and finds representation at the up-and-coming Chic agency. From that point on Emily is juggling modeling jobs with classes, trying to keep up her grades while taking meetings for magazine shoots. Not unexpectedly, the glamorous world of modeling, with its chic parties, dashing photographers, and drugs, is more immediately appealing, but as time wears on, Emily realizes she is going to have to choose between her hot career and her education. Hazelwood's first outing moves along at a frenetic pace that mirrors the industry she is writing about and provides a true insider's look at the fascinating world of modeling.

What I thought:
I loved it.  I loved every page, every moment, every description of this girl's rough (yet oh-so-glamorous) life as an aspiring model in the 80s.  I wished it would never end (though it had to at some point and 390 pages was probably good enough).  Seriously- there is nothing else to say about this book more than how much I loved it.  It made me think about how my life would be different if I were about 50 pounds skinnier and decided modeling was the path for me at a younger age.  The book wasn't all sunshine and rainbows- there was some drug abuse, some "pimping", a lot of frustration, heartbreak and homesickness.  Still, I loved it and I highly recommend it as a great and easy summer read!

No comments:

Post a Comment