Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Food Challenge: QUINOA/Raspberry Almond Coconut Quinoa

Recipe #3 for my quinoa challenge. I've been trying to find a recipe that is more like a dessert or breakfast and not such a savory salad like the last two. Voila!



Raspberry Almond Coconut Breakfast Quinoa
Recipe from: Beantown Baker

2 cups milk
1 cup uncooked quinoa
pinch salt
2-3 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup fresh raspberries
1/2 cup chopped, toasted almonds
1/4 cup toasted unsweetened coconut

Bring milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Milk will boil and bubble over very quickly, so keep an eye on it. ** Mary's
 note- I used a small saucepan and things were going great until I lowered the heat to low for the simmering part- that's when the milk boiled over and boy did it make a mess with those tiny quinoa pebbles sticking to everything.  I'd recommend using at least a medium sized saucepan to give the milk more room to expand if necessary as it definitely didn't have enough room in my small saucepan.

Add quinoa and salt, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until three-quarters of the milk has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. 

Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook, covered, until almost all the milk has been absorbed, about 5 minutes.

Stir in raspberries, nuts, and coconut. Cook until warmed through, about one minute more. 

It took a while to make this morning but it was a good way to start the day when it was finished, if not a bit heavy.  I should have eaten more (to be full) but it was kind of sticky and it felt like it was a lot to eat.  As I was adding the cinnamon and brown sugar, my dad noted that it was like oatmeal and I realized he made a good point.  I am not sure which I like better...

No comments:

Post a Comment