Monday, July 18, 2011

Restaurant Review: Blue Point

I love prix-fixe menus and that's all Restaurant Week is about! And it figures that every time Restaurant Week has come around in the past year, I've been on my way out of town. Boo. Mom and I got a chance to check out the Blue Point in Bloomington on Wednesday night. Its off of 494 and connected to an office building. This is what you probably see when you drive West on 494.

Its kind of a strange because it seems out of place but it was still a cool atmosphere. There was an outdoor patio as we entered the building, an indoor/outdoor patio that was outside the actual restaurant but inside the office lobby, and then the inside restaurant where we ate. There were 3 people at the host stand and they were incredibly friendly when we checked in half an hour early for our reservation. Fortunately for us, we got right in. Unfortunately for the restaurant, it was pretty quiet for dinner. It was a Wednesday night so that may have explained the low turnout, plus I'm pretty sure the restaurant opened pretty recently.

We had every intention of going for the prix-fixe 3-course menu of appetizer, entree and dessert.  Then we looked at the full menu and got a little distracted.

We had mussels for the appetizer.  I'd never eaten mussels before but I was not afraid because I ate escargot last year and my second cousin is the head chef at Blue Point and I knew I was safe to try something new and exotic.

Steamed Prince Edward Island Mussels
Garlic, Shallots, Herbs & White Wine
Not surprisingly, they were quite tasty.  They were in a wonderful white wine sauce and that crusty bread was perfect (especially soaked in the sauce).  My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

My empty shells.  Yum!
Then Mom and I both chose amazing entrees.

Pan Fried Alaskan Halibut
Pistachio Crusted, Garnet Yam Puree, Toasted
Pumpkin Seed Oil

Roasted Hawaiian Mahi Mahi
Chorizo, Clams, Tomatoes, Garlic, Basil, White Wine
The halibut is Mom's.  It took a few bites for her to really taste the pistachio crust and she loves pistachios.  The yam puree was very reminiscent of Thanksgiving and so it reminded me of home.  We forgot what the oil was on the plate and I tried to figure it out by tasting it with my amazing palate but failed.

The Mahi Mahi is mine.  I'm a sucker for anything with basil so that's what caught my eye (plus I love all fish).  It was a huge filet that I could barely finish (but I definitely did because it was tasty).  The chorizo was a bit intense (I hate to say it but it smelled kind of like a hot dog).  The clams were a new experience as well and they were a little gritty but still good.


Finally for dessert, Blue Point's infamous Key Lime pie.  It was fluffy and refreshing and it was the perfect size to share after the huge meal we had.  The graham cracker crust was a little hard and there wasn't enough of it for the volume of that pie but it was still good.

The prices were a bit high but worth it for the huge portions... and that Key Lime pie.  While it was a wonderful mother-daughter dinner and I'm sure would make a great restaurant for date night (its an oyster bar and oysters are aphrodisiacs, right?).  If you ever have someone who wants to splurge on you for some seafood, try the Blue Point Restaurant in Bloomington (or Wayzata- their original restaurant is there and has the same, if not smaller, vibe).

No comments:

Post a Comment